turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is the PA state form that needs to be signed and sent in even if state taxes are e-filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is the PA state form that needs to be signed and sent in even if state taxes are e-filed?

Do not mail in signature forms to Pennsylvania.  TurboTax will generate the signature forms, if neededSign and keep them for three years.

If you file the Federal/State returns electronically and the federal return is filed with a Self-Selected PIN (in most situations) Form PA-8453 is NOT required.

Otherwise, if you file the Federal/State returns electronically and the federal return is filed without the Self-Selected PIN (rare), Form PA-8453 IS required. All pertinent information will populate the form. On the Electronic Filing Instructions, TurboTax has listed all possible attachments required by the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue for quick reference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Optima206

Would I have to do that for a Delaware state return? 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Generally you do not need to print and mail in any signature forms to any state if your state return has been e--filed and accepted. For PA, you only need to print and mail in form PA- 8453 IF you chose not to use a PIN on your federal return or you did not e-file a federal return. You can get this form here: https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/2017/2017_pa-8453....

For Delaware you can get the form here: https://revenuefiles.delaware.gov/docs/TY17_de8453e.pdf

Thank you so much!  This info has greatly helped.

I am totally confused by the efiling of PA tax return.  I was told i need to sign the return and reading this note it sounds like i do not need to sign a return if  i selected a PIN.  I believe i selected a PIN, but how do i verify if i did or not. I am told one thing and the system says another.  Very frustrating.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax does not store your self selected PIN. If you are unsure of what your self selected PIN is, you can sign your return.

lre108

Hi there! I had the same problem and could not get any help from calling support.

When I completed filing my 2020 tax returns this year, no PA signature page was included.  The "Electronic Filling Instructions ..." Page was not included in my documents to print this year.  So I looked back at mine from 2019 and the second section down on that sheet says "No Signature Document Needed" ..."No signature form is required since you signed your return electronically."

So I think as long as you used the e-signature when you did your e-filing, it counts for the state and you do not need to send in a separate paper/snail mail signature.  

Hope that helps!

BC925

When I e-filed both my federal return and PA state return at the same time, no signature form for PA was required because the PA file was linked to the federal file, which had an e-file PIN. My federal return was accepted, but my PA return was not. After fixing my PA return, I e-filed it again. This time Turbotax generated the signature form, PA-8453, because this e-file was not linked to my federal file with the PIN.

According to the instructions for this form, do NOT mail Form PA-8453 and attachments to the PA Department of Revenue unless requested. However, you must retain completed Forms PA-8453 and  supporting documents for three years after the due date of the return or the date the return was
filed electronically, whichever is later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies