turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am doing e-filing with turbotax but want to pay the taxes i owe with my personal credit card through pay1040.com. Is this possible ?

Please answer in detail. I appreciate it
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am doing e-filing with turbotax but want to pay the taxes i owe with my personal credit card through pay1040.com. Is this possible ?

This answer will be for Federal taxes.  States can have different payment methods.

If you have Federal taxes due and want to pay them outside of TurboTax, you can tell TurboTax you intend to pay the taxes by check.    That does not obligate you to a check.  You can then pay by any method you choose that the IRS allows.

You can pay Federal taxes owed for free at the IRS website below using "Direct Pay" which is a direct bank debit.

Or you can pay there with credit/debit card, but there is a service fee for that option.  I see one of the companies the IRS shows there is the one you mentioned.

https://www.irs.gov/payments

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This answer will be for Federal taxes.  States can have different payment methods.

If you have Federal taxes due and want to pay them outside of TurboTax, you can tell TurboTax you intend to pay the taxes by check.    That does not obligate you to a check.  You can then pay by any method you choose that the IRS allows.

You can pay Federal taxes owed for free at the IRS website below using "Direct Pay" which is a direct bank debit.

Or you can pay there with credit/debit card, but there is a service fee for that option.  I see one of the companies the IRS shows there is the one you mentioned.

https://www.irs.gov/payments

Do I pay the taxes only when my return is accepted?

@jaiswaldeepak
You're posting in a 2-year-old answered thread and didn't provide any info about "your" situation and what you are doing.

You didn't say whether you are talking about Federal or State taxes due, and didn't mention what your payment method is.  So this comment won't be very specific.

So in general, if the payment deadline is not immediate, you should wait until your efiled return is accepted, in case it's rejected and you have to change something that affects your amount of tax due.    You still have time to make the payment by April 15, so you can wait and see if your efiled return is accepted.

If you recently efiled, you should normally know in 24-48 hours if the return was accepted.  You can check on the efile status by logging back into your online account, or by using this tool to check:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp">https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efi...>

If you're paying by credit card, be aware there can be a hefty service fee if your tax due amount is large.   I think TurboTax's processor charges close to 2.5%.   Fees for credit card payments at the IRS website are around 2%.  Various processors and fees are displayed there.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies