turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I owe taxes

I received a check for unclaimed property owned by my deceased spouse that was accrued dividends and unexchanged / recapitalization. Do I owe taxes? If so how do I pay? I did not receive any tax forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Do I owe taxes

The amount recovered, itself, wouldn't be taxable, but any interest that might have accrued on it would be.  Earnings after the date of death of your wife are taxable to the beneficiary of the account, or to the estate.

Please see the TurboTax Help article What if I didn't get a 1099-INT from my bank? for entry guidance.

Do I owe taxes

Thank you for your response.

The accrued dividends and unexchange / recapita was all converted into cash by the state when it came into their possession.

I became aware of this unclaimed property in my husbands name 2 years after his death.

I received a check for the unclaimed property this year and no tax documents regarding how the state treasury reported it.

My understanding from your response is that the amount I received for the unclaimed fund in the form of a check is not taxable.

However, any interest earned if the check was deposited in a checking or saving account is taxable.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies