turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I owe tax in a state where I don't live or work if my employer says my wages weren't reported there? Even if the two states appear on my w2?

I have always lived and worked remotely for my company, and I never travel to work there or have the option to work there. There are two states on my W-2, but I don't think I have any tax liability to the nonresident state. I asked them to correct my W-2, but they said they couldn't, and then added that my wages were reported to the IRS and my resident state only, what does that mean? That I don't need to file a nonresident return? 

I haven't had anything withheld from either state so I am not worried about that. It will just cost me an extra $300 for the nonresident state, even with a credit on my resident state return. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

Do I owe tax in a state where I don't live or work if my employer says my wages weren't reported there? Even if the two states appear on my w2?

You do not have to file a return for the nonresident state because you didn't live or work there. All the income as a remote employee is only taxable in your resident state. If you've started a return for this state, delete it.

I suggest that you leave off the entries in your W-2 for the nonresident state. If your employer reported State Wages for that state in box 16, then they certainly should issue a corrected W-2. It's not true that they "couldn't". If it just has the state name but the rest is blank, there's no real reason they would need to correct the W-2. They are saying they only reported the wages to your resident state, which is reassuring,  but making an entry for state wages to the other state is wrong.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies