turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report my Child's income if she earned less than 12K

Hi. My daughter was 19 in 2022, a full time college student and worked during the summer at one job and after school at a different job during 2022. She earned from both jobs $10,623 however, for some reason she claimed herself as exempt while completing her new hire paperwork on her W4 so no taxes were taken out of her paycheck. My question is, do I claim her under my taxes or should she do her own taxes? And will she end up paying any taxes that were not withheld? 

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
3 Replies

Do I need to report my Child's income if she earned less than 12K

you can claim her as a dependent on your return regardless of whether or not she has to file.  whether or not she has to file depends on the nature of that $10K and if she had unearned income. if she got w-2s for both jobs and she had unearned income (interest, dividends, etc.) of not more than $1150 she doesn't have to file. if she got a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC for either one or both jobs she needs to file because she owes self-employment tax. 

Do I need to report my Child's income if she earned less than 12K

@isabellaam simply, if the income was from W-2s, was less than $12,950 in 2022, there is no reporting requirement,  If there was any federal tax withheld (and you are stating there wasn't), filing would be the only way to get the money back 


Stating she was exempt on the W-4 from federal tax was correct.  


You still claim her as a dependent since she is in school and under the age of 24.  you DO NOT report her income on your tax return; if she was required to file (and in this case she isn't) it ONLY goes on her tax return 


Be sure to get a copy of HER 1098-T form as that creates the basis for American Opportinities Tax Credit (AOTC) elgibility and could be worth up to $2500 TO YOU 

Do I need to report my Child's income if she earned less than 12K


If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.



You might also want to use free software from the IRS Free File versions:


**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies