Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Do I need to report a stipend received for research in Japan as income?

I am a grad student and spent the summer doing research in Japan for which I received a stipend.  The stipend was paid by the Japanese institution where I was doing research so the stipend was not included on my W2 or 1098T from Texas A&M.  Nor did I receive a 1099-MISC.  Do i need to report this as income?

1 Reply
New Member

Do I need to report a stipend received for research in Japan as income?

Hello mattjapanquestio:

The answer to your question is yes.  The stipend you received for graduate studies (or research) conducted in Japan is taxable income . . . to the extent that the money received was not used directly to pay for university courses or fees (at Texas A&M or a cooperating school in Japan, granting transferable credit toward your degree program).  It does not matter that you received this income from a Japanese institution, or from a United States source.  For US income tax purposes, it is still taxable in the same way.

Thus, to do so, please follow the general instructions and example provided at this AnswerXchange post, for entering taxable graduate stipends, fellowships, and grants:

It does not matter here if you received a Form 1099-MISC, or not.  You may have a letter, statement, or some other documentation that your Japanese benefactor sent you; or perhaps you don't.  The answer to that point is really not important, as this income is still taxable in the very same way, notwithstanding how it may have been reported to you.

Thank you for asking about this important matter; and good luck with your academic activities.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies