Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hollismj0119
Returning Member

Do I need to include online purchases on my tax return if I paid sales tax on all of them at the time of purchase?

I wasn't entirely sure what this part of the process meant and if I should include any of my online purchases or not. I paid taxes on all of them at the time of purchase and most were through sites such as amazon. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to include online purchases on my tax return if I paid sales tax on all of them at the time of purchase?

No, you only need to include purchases that you did NOT pay sales tax on.  If all your purchases included sales tax, then you don't have to report anything on that screen.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No, you only need to include purchases that you did NOT pay sales tax on.  If all your purchases included sales tax, then you don't have to report anything on that screen.

So do they have a Sales Tax Investigations Division that will come to my house and do a complete inventory and cross check it next year to see if I bought a pair of socks from Oregon which is a tax free state. Is Oregon supposed to collect tax on sales to other states?

@perpetuelprosperity wrote:

So do they have a Sales Tax Investigations Division that will come to my house and do a complete inventory and cross check it next year to see if I bought a pair of socks from Oregon which is a tax free state. Is Oregon supposed to collect tax on sales to other states?

Turbotax only includes whatever your state wants on their tax form.  If your state wants you to declare un-taxed out of state purchases and pay use tax on them, then it will also be up to your state to enforce non-compliance.  If you don't like it, you need to talk to your state legislators. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies