matthews2015

Do i need to include my spouses income? Filing jointly

My spouse did not work most of last year. My income was around 40,000,  where as hers was around 3,500 last year. We are waiting on her W-2 from her previous employer, but I am just wondering if it is required to include this income with it being such a small amount? Just don't want to continue waiting for it if it isn't necessary, and also don't want to exclude it if it is. Thanks in advance.

DavidD66

If you are filing jointly, you will have to include your wife's income.  If you file without it, the IRS will adjust your return to add it, and send you a notice of proposed changes and bill you for any additional tax you owe plus penalty and interest.  You may want to calculate your tax liability filing jointly and separately to see with one is more advantageous to you.

DavidD66