turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to include an international university into the tax return?

My full-time undergrad college student child is enrolled in a qualified US university. She attended the school for the winter and spring 2023 terms. She then enrolled in a 1-year study-abroad program, per-arranged thru her US school for the fall 2023 term (full-time) as well as Winter/Spring of 2024. The international university is a "participating school" on the Fed Student Loan Program list with an OPEID number and the status of "Deferment Only".

Tuition: The US school pays the tuition directly to the foreign university, per-arranged between the two schools. I have not seen any documentation on this nor do I know the impact to the 1098-T that we will receive from the US school. The international school does not issue a 1098-T.
Room & Board: She pays the rent directly to the foreign landlord and of course meals (schools are not involved in this).

My thinking is that since this is a temporary study abroad program which is arranged by the US school, do I need to muddy the waters by additionally including the international university into the tax return?

If I have to include this participating international school into the tax return, after reading other posts here, is my understanding correct that it will NOT disqualify the AOTC, and the room & board expenses will remain qualified toward the 529 distribution? Which leads me to the followup question: Should I keep the amount of 529 distributions same as the US school's published figures (the international school does not provide such published data)?  TIA

(edited to correct the form # to 1098-T)

Using Windows desktop installed TurboTax Deluxe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@BK2000  whereas I do not know very much about 529 and educational related matters but in this case , as I see it  and keeping it simple --- you pay the US school and you get 1098-T. Where they hold the classes  and whether they sub. it out to another school ( foreign in this case ) is beyond your ken and control. So I am going to take the simple path ( unless  something changes ), that you are dealing with an US university and all the normal US rules apply and ignore the foreign component of this for the time being -- unless told by the US university that you have to directly pay that University.  Then of course the foreign tax laws will come into force.

Does this make sense ?

pk

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I'll page Champ @pk

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@BK2000  whereas I do not know very much about 529 and educational related matters but in this case , as I see it  and keeping it simple --- you pay the US school and you get 1098-T. Where they hold the classes  and whether they sub. it out to another school ( foreign in this case ) is beyond your ken and control. So I am going to take the simple path ( unless  something changes ), that you are dealing with an US university and all the normal US rules apply and ignore the foreign component of this for the time being -- unless told by the US university that you have to directly pay that University.  Then of course the foreign tax laws will come into force.

Does this make sense ?

pk

@pk 

What you wrote makes sense (thank you) which is what I was thinking too.  It comes down to the 1098-T that I shall receive come Jan/Feb and see what is actually in it.

The primary reason I posted the question was to see if I had a legal obligation to enter the foreign university into the education section.

And the secondary was: If the the foreign university's tuition is not reflected the in the US 1098-T, how do I include that amount in as part of education expense, so I can take the proper amount of 529 distributions before year end.  (Now that you informed me that your knowledge of 529's is limited, I know which TT community champs to ask for help, IF it comes to that)

As an FYI on the education expense matter, IF I have to add the foreign university in, it disqualifies me from taking advantage of the American Opportunity Credit (AOC/AOTC), because the foreign institution does not have a US tax ID.  Hence the objective is to not enter the foreign university into the mix, if possible.  There are so many students who do a semester or two abroad therefore my situation is not unique so I'd like to believe there is some tried and tested/failed approach.  I shall defer this question to next month once I receive the 1098-T.

Thank you.

Update: The US university has all the tuition data in the 1098-T, and therefore in my case it does not appear that I have to mention or enter the overseas university into the equation at all.  Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies