Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@pk 

What you wrote makes sense (thank you) which is what I was thinking too.  It comes down to the 1098-T that I shall receive come Jan/Feb and see what is actually in it.

The primary reason I posted the question was to see if I had a legal obligation to enter the foreign university into the education section.

And the secondary was: If the the foreign university's tuition is not reflected the in the US 1098-T, how do I include that amount in as part of education expense, so I can take the proper amount of 529 distributions before year end.  (Now that you informed me that your knowledge of 529's is limited, I know which TT community champs to ask for help, IF it comes to that)

As an FYI on the education expense matter, IF I have to add the foreign university in, it disqualifies me from taking advantage of the American Opportunity Credit (AOC/AOTC), because the foreign institution does not have a US tax ID.  Hence the objective is to not enter the foreign university into the mix, if possible.  There are so many students who do a semester or two abroad therefore my situation is not unique so I'd like to believe there is some tried and tested/failed approach.  I shall defer this question to next month once I receive the 1098-T.

Thank you.