Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jadaadams44
Returning Member

Do I need to fill out the multiple jobs section? I am single with no dependents and I am filing out the 2024 W-4 Form and 2023 W-4 Form for my new job and have a side job

The side job gig is temporary so not much steady income. I lost my job in March 2024, but I still have the temporary side job gig before I start the new job next week that I am filing out for the 2023 W-4 and 2024 W-4 form  for the onboarding process. Lastly, do I keep the same 2023 W4 form information that I had last year in  
November 2024 when I was about to start the job I lost in March 2024? Or do I change it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Do I need to fill out the multiple jobs section? I am single with no dependents and I am filing out the 2024 W-4 Form and 2023 W-4 Form for my new job and have a side job

Yes, you need to complete a new W-4 form every time you have a significant change like changing jobs, or starting a "side gig".

You should account for the side job somehow, but since it's temporary, you could just enter it as "other income". One warning about side gigs, if you get a 1099-NEC instead of a W-2 form, you will pay an extra 15% in self-employment tax on your net profit (you are allowed to deduct certain expenses). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jadaadams44
Returning Member

• Hello, and thank you for your response. For the side gig job, I got a w2 form from 2023 not a 1099-NEC. Also to mention, the side gig job is from a staffing agency so they offer different side gigs usually each month but I sometimes am not interested in working for the some of the different jobs they offer. I’ve been a member of the staffing agency since last June 2023. So what should I put for the other income? Other Adjustments section? Like the amount? Should I put the other income for the 2023 W-4 Form as well? Besides the 2024 W-4 Form? 
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can enter your estimate of the total wages from the staffing agency that you will earn for 2024 as "Other income".

jadaadams44
Returning Member

Just to confirm, so I can enter the wages from the staffing agency from the 2023 W-2 Form for the Other Income on the 2024 W-4 Form on the Other Adjustment Section? What about the 2023 W-4 Form? Should I keep it blank under the Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works and Step 4 (optional): Other Adjustments section? It was originally blank in step 2 and 4 when I did onboarding from the job I lost this March 2024 from last year in November 2023. Because before that I was unemployed. Until November 2023.

Why are you asking about a 2023 W4?  2023 is over.    You give each current employer a W4, not a specific year.  You only need to give the employer a W4 when you start that job unless you want to change it by giving him a new W4. 

And what do you mean by "onboarding process"?

jadaadams44
Returning Member

Hello, thank you for your response. I am starting a new job next Monday. I asking about the 2023 W-4 Form, because it was presented in the Onboarding Documents that I needed to complete. The onboarding process is a process after getting hired by a job, they conduct a process where you have to verify and complete I-9 documents, complete set up tax withholding (that in this situation, includes the 2024 W-4 Form), complete payment options, add emergency contacts, etc. before starting the day of the new job. I just wanted to make sure that if I need to change anything for the 2023 W-4 Form. Since you mentioned 2023 is over, it makes sense now. Sorry

jadaadams44
Returning Member

Also, I’m not sure how much I will earn for the 2024 year from the staffing agency? The side gig jobs comes and goes. It’s all different types of side gig jobs with different pay and not the same type of work each month. So far I’ve worked one side gig job this year. Sorry, but I’m confused, what should I enter for the other income? Is it the wages from the 2023 W-4 Form? 

jadaadams44
Returning Member

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  The pay from the side gigs in 2023 will be a good estimate for the other income for 2024 on your 2024 form W4.   

jadaadams44
Returning Member

• Hello, thank you for your response. Since step 4 is optional, I decided to leave it blank.Also, just to confirm, since I lost my job in March 2024, and I am still employed with the staffing agency with the side gig jobs, would the staffing agency with the side gig jobs be considered as a multiple job or no for Step 2 on the W-4 form?Before I start the new job in a few days. 
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you anticipate potentially holding 2 jobs at the same time, you would mark this box as yes.  

If you will not be working with the staffing agency anymore and will only be working at the new job, you do not need to mark yes on step 2.

jadaadams44
Returning Member

Hello, and thank you for your response and assistance. Yes, I will be working the staffing agency job and the new job(that I will be starting in a few days). I will mark the check for c. For step 2 on the W-4 2024 form. 

jadaadams44
Returning Member

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies