Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Do I need to file with a tax return with D.C.

I live in Georgia but rent a property in D.C.  In 2016, I did not make any income from this property.  Do I need to file with D.C.?  Based on the information on D.C.'s website, I do not.
1 Reply
New Member

Do I need to file with a tax return with D.C.

If you work in DC and live in any other state, you're not subject to DC income tax.  Therefore there's no out-of-state credit to be taken on your return.  If you go to the Personal Info section, scroll down to Other State Income, click Edit and delete DC you should be OK.

Here's some of filing requirements as listed in the DC tax instructions:

You do not need to file a current year DC Individual Income tax return if:
• You were not required to file a federal income tax return.
• You were not considered a resident of DC during the taxable year.

• You were an elected member of the US government who was not domiciled in DC.
• You were an employee on the personal staff of an elected member of the US Congress and you and the elected member were bonafide residents of the same state.

You are not required to file a DC return if you are a nonresident of DC unless you are claiming a refund of DC taxes withheld or DC estimated taxes paid. Use Form D-40B, Non-Resident Request for Refund (available by visiting

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies