Solved: Do I need to file Federal Return again after applying for ITIN? I already send my W2 along with my Federal Return and W7, should I file the return again?

Do I need to file Federal Return again after applying for ITIN? I already send my W2 along with my Federal Return and W7, should I file the return again?

No. When you apply for an ITIN via Form W7, you attach your tax return. So, your tax return is being filed by mail.

After the ITIN number is issued, the return is sent on for processing within the IRS. You DO NOT efile a return when its already going through the process. This will cause a duplication, which can cause a holdup.

If you did not include your state tax return, you can efile your state return only (i.e. do not click to efile the federal return) once you have the ITIN number.

Thank you! This clears it up perfectly.

Happy to help!

I recently received my wife's ITIN number. How do I add my wife's ITIN to my state returns if I had to write in a generic ssn for the ITIN application?

Turbo tax is not letting me edit my state returns because I chose to Mail all (only federal was mailed, still holding onto my state paper returns) so I could print my federal return to apply for her ITIN number.

Can I white out the old generic 999-88-999 ssn and then write in the new ITIN number and then mail them? Will this be acceptable  for state returns if I hand write the new ITIN?

I have the same question. Writing the number on a printed document will look bad. How do we do this?

@pmithil7 wrote:

I believe you have to call customer support and have them change the status of the return back to un-filed.  Use the secure web site to get the right phone number for your issue.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

(I actually don't think it would be all that bad to write it in, either.)

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**