Ely916

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return

If my AGI is 8,840 have 0 tax refund and owe 0 amount do I need to file a tax return. MFJ

macuser_22

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return

Probably not, but you should file anyway to qualify for any stimulus.

Ely916

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return

Thank you for your response. I file MFJ although I'm separated (not legally) only income received was Social Security Disability Income and UEC Unemployment Pandemic benefits. After calculations AGI is 8,480. All stimulus payments were received. I'm assuming I don't need to file a 2020 return. Thanks again.

macuser_22

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return

If you file jointly then your spouse must agree an all spouses income must also be reported.

If married filing jointly then a tax return is not required of gross income is less than $24,800 or you had more then $400 of self-employed income, then  you must file a 1040 with schedule SE, not to pay income tax, but to pay SS and Medicare tax.