Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to amend? I was an adult dependent in 2019 but not in 2020

I was an adult dependent in 2019 but not in 2020. When I filed my taxes in  the recovery rebate I put what my daughter got, the $1200 and the $600 with a zero balance on line 30. My daughter hasn't filed her 2020 yet. On march 17 she received $2800. And a week later I received $1400. I think it was my return.But I do deserve a stimulus as she didn't  make enough this year to claim me. Since she hasn't filed her 2020 yet, how do we correct this.

I keep hearing the IRS isn't expecting over payments so when she files hers will she owe that payment they gave her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

First of all for the new 3rd Stimulus payment you can both keep it.  

But for your 2020 return you should not have entered the amounts she got.  You should have your own 1800 on line 30 for yourself.  And if you were over 17 she didn't get any Stimulus for you at all.  Why did you enter what she got?  That was for only for her.  You may need to amend your return to claim the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I am on SSDI. She claimed me because she paid over half my income in 2019. But she did not with the job situation in 2020.  So She only got hers in 2019 which was $1800. I got nothing.

When I claimed myself in 2020, I put what she got thinking that was somehow a family thing even though I got nothing. It has all been so confusing.  I know she is entitled to the $2400 and I am entitled to my $1400 this year. But as I said I have filed my 2020 already. She has not. One of us got extra, will they penalize her or me? Again I was just confused and realized as soon as I filed it, it was not right. I just want to fix it.

They just deposited the money too fast I was waiting for March 25th to correct it and I am pretty sure I need to take those figures off. But I got the amount I was supposed to get..I don't usually file..please help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies