Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need health insurance if I am a Native American?

Is there a tax form that exempts Native Americans fro having to obtain health insurance?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

There is no requirement to have health insurance on a federal tax return.  Your state may have this as a requirement but if you are a Native American you will need to check with your state tax department for verification.

The federal government does not require you to have health insurance.  There are some states in which there is a requirement so you would have to check with the state that you live in if there is an exemption for Native Americans.

States that have mandates for health insurance

The only places with an individual mandate for health insurance are:

• California
  • District of Columbia
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont

Qualifying plans, exemptions and penalty criteria differ by state, so it’s important to make sure you know the fine print of your state’s system.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Note that, while the original Affordable Care Act included a tax penalty ("individual shared responsibility penalty") if you did not have qualifying insurance (either from an employer or from a marketplace), that penalty was repealed in 2018.  While technically the law still says "everyone must have insurance", there is no penalty for not having insurance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies