Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ethan133

Do I need file tax return

Hello

Me and my wife both collect Social Security benefits, the total amount of SSA payment is less than $10000/Year (me+my wife); and my wife use to collect approx $40/month pension from her work, Unfortunaly, she passed away in March 2018, and $40/month pension was gone (because she does not sign any beneficiary) too. beside SSA benefit and pension we DO NOT have any other income in 2018 plus we DO NOT have any assets under our name. Base on above information, will I MUST file tax return for year 2018 ?

Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Because of the massive tax law changes for 2018, it's impossible to say one way or the other with any definitive certainty. But I would suggest that if you get a tax reporting document other than the SSA-1099, then file a return.

Ethan133

Thanks for your input, Carl. I agree there are many uncertainty factor might apply here. However, let me ask you one hypothetical question, if I apply same number (less $10000/year SSA payment & $40/month pension) from my original question into Year 2017, will I must file tax return for Year 2017 ?

Thanks again
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies