Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to use Turbotax both for Federal and state tax together? How could I only use Turbotax for Federal tax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Do I have to use Turbotax both for Federal and state tax together? How could I only use Turbotax for Federal tax

No, you can just file the federal return. Skip the state section and move on to review and then file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I actually already filled out the state tax. In that case, could I skip the state tax? It was free using Turbox tax for state tax last year, somehow it charged, so I want to use another free tool to prepare state tax. How could I skip now ( I saw that I had to pay both together )

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You can file just your federal return in TurboTax.

If you already started a state return, you can delete it as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered your free version with the state attached). 

1. Sign in and open a section of your return
  2. From the menu, select State and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete next to your state, then answer Yes

When you go through the File section of TurboTax, you can choose which returns to file. 

I did try that. I only see "state tax" and if I continue with that, I didn't see delete. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You will not be able to delete your state tax return if you paid for TurboTax Online. You can only clear your state return and start over. 

In the File section, you can change your state return to file later.

If you've already paid for your state, consider filing it. To check whether you bought state, 

1. Tap Tax Tools in the left column
  2. Then Tools
  3. In "Tools Center" choose My Fees (the bottom right box)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies