jamalbrenton16

Do I have to use my IP pin number if my husband is claiming me on his taxes

If we file married and I didn't work do I need to enter my IP pin number on our tax return

rjs

Your husband can never claim you as a dependent. The two of you can file as married filing jointly, and you will get a personal exemption for each of you. The personal exemption has the same value as claiming a dependent.

When you file as married filing jointly, it's not "his taxes," it's his and yours, even if you didn't have any income. That's what "jointly" means.

If you are filing as married filing jointly and you are e-filing, you must enter your IP PIN.

If you are filing as married filing jointly and you are filing by mail, only the person who is listed first on the tax return has to enter his or her IP PIN. It doesn't matter whether the person who is listed first has income or not.

rjs