Do I have to use Form 1099-MISC to report clergy income?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My church sends me my income statement on a 1099-MISC for clergy services but if I try to report it using 1099-MISC it gets taxed.  Is there another way?
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

This income is taxable to you. 

Pastors fall under the clergy rules.  They are considered a common law employee of the church so although they should receive a W2, (some churches are still issuing 1099-MISCs) their income is reported in different ways.

• The salary from the 1099-MISC is reported on the Schedule C and must be included for self employment tax.
  • Money received from weddings, offerings, special events outside their church would be reported on Schedule C for self employment.
  • Housing allowance is not reported as income for personal income tax but is included for self employment tax.
  • Expenses related to the salary are deducted as miscellaneous job related expenses on itemized deductions.
  • Expenses relating to other income reported on Schedule C would be entered on that schedule.

Be sure to select the clergy option when entering the W2 and TurboTax will do all the calculations.

• Click here for clergy income and expense information.
  • Click here for clergy information from the IRS.

For other details on how you enter clergy income see the information below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3850695

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings