Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i have to put everything into schedule C if I choose to put one thing into schedule C?

Hi, I have a real estate biz, yes I have an LLC registered.

I currently put all my properties and expenses and depreciation and rental income into schedule E.

However, I got a new truck and I'd like to put that into Schedule C instead, and I'd like to start putting other business related expenses that I use on ALL my properties into schedule C.

If I put just a few things into Schedule C, does this somehow mean that I have to put everything into schedule C?

Are there any advantages to doing Schedule C other than the S-Corp 1120 method to pay myself at a lower tax rate? I have no reason to use schedule C at the moment because I have a very low tax burden because I do renovations and then hold the properties so I have a lot of write offs.  

Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Do i have to put everything into schedule C if I choose to put one thing into schedule C?

I currently put all my properties and expenses and depreciation and rental income into schedule E

You must continue doing so, including any vehicle expenses related to the management/maintenance of those rental properties. That's why there's a section for vehicle expenses on the SCH E. You can't split the activities of a business between SCH C and SCH E.

Typically, long term rental real estate is reported on SCH E, not SCH C. For rental property to be a SCH C business, you have to meet stringent guidelines outlined by the IRS. Can't recall the exact publication at the moment, but IRS Publication 527 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf touches on some of the requirements on page 12.

If you qualify to switch from SCH E to SCH C with your rental property, then you will need to seek professional help, as it's not a simple process by any stretch, and the TTX program can't handle it. Doing this kind of switch is not common, and has a high potential of triggering an audit. That's one (of many) reasons to seek professional help. Especially if your state taxes personal income.

For starters, SCH E residential assets are depreciated over 27.5 years, while SCH E business assets are depreciated over 39 years. To change from one schedule to the other requires a fair amount of paperwork on forms not included in the TTX program, and you have to justify the change to the IRS. This is just the tip of that iceberg too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies