Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file non resident Idaho return?

I have lived fulltime in CA, but I have a rental property in Idaho.  The rental property is reporting a net loss on the federal return.  Gross income is over $2500 for the ID rental income but after including expenses the net income in negative.  Do I have to file an ID non resident return and if so would I report the full gross rental income and then get credit for the tax paid to ID on my resident CA return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You should file an Idaho tax return because nonresidents must file if their gross income from Idaho sources is more than $2500. However, since you have a net loss, you most likely won't pay any tax. 

In TurboTax, in the Personal Info section, indicate that you made money in another state. Then, just file your rental income on the federal side, the program will carry the information to the Idaho tax return. File your nonresident state first, then CA. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You should file an Idaho tax return because nonresidents must file if their gross income from Idaho sources is more than $2500. However, since you have a net loss, you most likely won't pay any tax. 

In TurboTax, in the Personal Info section, indicate that you made money in another state. Then, just file your rental income on the federal side, the program will carry the information to the Idaho tax return. File your nonresident state first, then CA. 

Thank you, the info carried over to the non resident ID form shows no difference in income and no income from Idaho sources since Sched E reports a net loss and due to AGI being above $150k it shows $0 rather than the negative loss amount.  So I would file a non-resident ID return and just pay the $10 Permanent Building Fund mandatory donation? 

MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You are correct. File the tax return and send the $10 payment. That's all. 

I disagree. I believe the regulation states Non-residents cross through the 10.00 and write NRF on the line. I really wish turbotax would fix the software to do this if my interpretation is correct.

However, Idaho will return the $10 to the non-resident filer if they paid that specific tax if they weren't required to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies