Do i file a separate return for my son?
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Do i file a separate return for my son?

He is 17, in high school, works part time, lives at home.  Do i still claim him as my dependent and if so where do i report his w-2?  or do i have to do a separate return for him?
1 Reply
Level 15

Do i file a separate return for my son?

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Privacy Settings