Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

didimydog

Do I file a return if my income is $12,672 ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Are you anyone else's dependent?   Was tax withheld from your paychecks?  Do you have a W-2?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
didimydog

Non of the above.  It is only $12,672 total. No dependents no alimony, no deduction, nothing.

By "none of the above" do you mean no tax was withheld from your pay?   Did you get a W-2 or did you get a 1099NEC? 

How were you paid?   If you had even $400 of income as an independent contractor then you are required to file and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare. 

If you received a W-2, and boxes 2 and/or 17 show amounts of tax withheld then you can file to seek a refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Based on the Federal filing requirements, you probably do not need to file a return unless you have taxes withheld on your source of income or if your income includes the sale of an asset that created capital gains that need to be reported.  Since you know the source and nature of your income, take a look at the following TurboTax help article to be sure that you do not need to file a return:

Do I need to file a federal return this year?

@didimydog 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Even if you are not required to file a return you may WANT to file if you are entitiled to a refundable credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies