turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Divorced last year, filed single this year in new account. federal return accepted on 2/13/2021. checked with irs, they cannot verify my account, no refund. why?

ex-husband got stimulus check directly into his account. how can I fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Divorced last year, filed single this year in new account. federal return accepted on 2/13/2021. checked with irs, they cannot verify my account, no refund. why?

The IRS is backed up this year so it is not unusual to have your return accepted but not processed right away. Until it is processed, you will see the message your are seeing in the refund tool.

I think you mean regarding the stimulus check that your ex-husband received a stimulus payment that was supposed to go to you? If it is one of the first or second round checks, you should have filed for that on your 2020 tax return.

If you mean the third round stimulus check, you would would have to call the IRS about that, their phone number is 1-800-919-9835.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I called the IRS , Senator Shaheen,NH Rep Anne Kuster,NH. It seems there is no solution to this problem, although there are many in this situation. Over 600,000 people got divorced in 2020......and how many filed jointly?? and the spouse who has the first SS number gets the checks.....not the kids, not the other spouse. 

I was told by IRS and by Rep Kuster's office that it is a "legal matter" and I would have to get an attorney to go after the ex spouse.  I was told there is no solution to this problem. The stimulus didn't account for this scenario.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

As stated previously, the IRS will continue to send payments and process returns at the same time. They are behind with all the changes and challenges. They must also follow the instruction they have been given.  Continue to watch for the rest of your third stimulus payments.  Here is the most recent updated information for the third economic impact payment (EIP) stimulus payments. IRS EIP3 page

It's good you are taking proactive steps, but be patient because the stimulus payments are based on the 2020 tax return.  The first and second were reconciled on the Recovery Rebate Credit worksheet with your tax return if you completed it correctly.  Once the IRS does complete their reconciliation you will receive your payments or a letter of explanation, including the third stimulus.

It's true that there were factors that were not accounted for and it may work in your favor.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies