turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oconn11

Will turbotax add a tool to examine 2017 vs 2018 taxes?

It is important to see how changes in the new tax law will affect current (2017) taxes. Call it an early pre-view so that we can anticipate tax problems in 2018 (file in 2019). Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Desktop users will be able to use the What-IF tool that is already part of the software.

BUT....I wouldn't expect that it will be programmed with the actual 2018 tax rules until ...after Feb.  Might even be later than that.   

There are some pretty complex calculations/programming involved, and they even have trouble getting the 2017 software right before March....so should they spend their resources on getting 2017 software right asap or not.

I would like to see an FAQ that posts the date they get the 2018 part of the What-If sheet properly aligned with the (expected) new tax laws...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Then only major change that impacts 2017 is the return to the 7.5% of AGI floor for Medical deductions.

I also had this idea. They could easily provide a tool that would analyze your 2017 return and then tell you what the impact would have been had that return been operating under tax 2018 laws.

Great sales incentive for Turbotax 2017 if added soon enough.

I used What If to examine my 2017 return data in Column 2 and checked the 2018 box. It does seem to reflect some of the new tax law. I can see my CA state tax deductions are reduced to cap of 10,000. Has anyone else tried this living in a HIGH SALT state.  Would like to know if TurboTax has this working right.
jeff_brown2
Returning Member

Where is "What If"???  Is it not part of TurboTax Deluxe?

@jeff_brown2
Desktop software only..... in Forms Mode.

The original Poster asked from desktop software, so that's where you find it.  Anyone Using Online software don not have access to that form.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

WHAT IF

WHAT IF

Desktop users will be able to use the What-IF tool that is already part of the software.

BUT....I wouldn't expect that it will be programmed with the actual 2018 tax rules until ...after Feb.  Might even be later than that.   

There are some pretty complex calculations/programming involved, and they even have trouble getting the 2017 software right before March....so should they spend their resources on getting 2017 software right asap or not.

I would like to see an FAQ that posts the date they get the 2018 part of the What-If sheet properly aligned with the (expected) new tax laws...

Indeed, it would be helpful to get a preliminary working model for 2018 in the what -if module. Even better bring back the Tax Planner TT used to have. Just like the pro-series planner. Intuit is huge company with the resources to do this. They should do it now.
lhar57
Returning Member

I agree and hope Intuit updates their software to allow users to get a preliminary working mode for 2018.

I dont have the answer. I just want to add my name to the request to be able to compare 2017 income under 2017 and new 2018 tax laws. This would really help differentiate TurboTax from its competitors.

lharr57

Ditto for me as well.  It would be a great "feature" for Intuit to add on to TurboTax.
Manage cookies