turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Distributions in Excess of Retained earnings" throwing off balance sheet?

I want to make sure I'm not doing this wrong. For an s-corp, previous year had negative retained earnings, current year has positive retained earnings but ending balance retained earnings is still negative, and shareholders took $4,000 in distributions (which was NOT in excess of their BASIS, but was in excess of retained earnings). However it's throwing off the TurboTax balance sheet. Example Sch. M-2/Retained earnings memo smart worksheet:

A. dividends... 0

B. ending balance earnings & profits... 0

C. Beginning balance retained earnings Sch L... -75,000

D. Plus net income (loss)... 40,000

E. Less dividends & distributions... 0

F. Ending balance in retained earnings... -35,000

G. Distributions in excess of retained earnings... 4,000

So now the problem is that the balance sheet is thrown off by $4,000 because TurboTax is calculating retained earnings from Sch M-2 and counting $0 in distributions taken (E). So retained earnings are over by $4000 and I can't get TurboTax to agree to the actual retained earnings, it just keeps saying it's out of balance. Should I leave TurboTax's calculated RE that's over by $4,000 and put -$4,000 in adjustments to shareholder equity? Or the link below makes it sound like I should just leave the wrong number in retained earnings but subtract $4,000 from capital stock at the end of the year to balance it? Am I misunderstanding these instructions from TurboTax? I guess it seems odd. How will this affect the next year?

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1860597-distribution-in-excess-of-retained-earning...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

go with the Proseries instructions you posted.....Turbotax is based on that s/w.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

go with the Proseries instructions you posted.....Turbotax is based on that s/w.

Did you eventually figure this out? I have the same issue. Since my Retained Earning is negative, TurboTax shows the distribution as $0 where the distribution is in fact $2000. It throws off the balance sheet. So frustrating...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies