Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turtle7
Returning Member

Did I materially participate in the operation of this business during 2021?

How do I answer "did you materially participate in the operation of this business during 2021?"  I was a contract worker for a business in 2021.  I worked over 100 hours, but not quite 500 hours.  I was the main person scanning documents.  I don't believe anyone else scanned as many hours as I did during the year.  The owner of the business managed/oversaw the job I was doing.  This is the first year I worked for this company.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you materially participated.

Material participation occurs when a taxpayer is involved in a business on a regular, continuous, and substantial basis. If so, the taxpayer can check off a "material participation" box on his Form 1040. An outside investor in a business is probably not engaged in material participation in the business since he is merely providing funds to the entity.

Material Participation

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you materially participated.

Material participation occurs when a taxpayer is involved in a business on a regular, continuous, and substantial basis. If so, the taxpayer can check off a "material participation" box on his Form 1040. An outside investor in a business is probably not engaged in material participation in the business since he is merely providing funds to the entity.

Material Participation

Turtle7
Returning Member

Thank you.  Your response was helpful and answered my question.

I don't think it matters.  It sounds like you were an employee.  Employees don't have to worry about material participation rules.  They can simply file their w-2 or (if your employer improperly gave you one) 1099-Nec.  Material participation rules only apply to owners/investors in a business.     

Dgyp
Level 2

I'm hoping to piggy back on this question.  I am an employee of a company that is an LP but I am also a limited partner (VERY limited! 🙂 )...  They basically do this instead of stock options.

I got my first Schedule K-1 that has a distribution and Turbo Tax asks "Did you materially participate in this partnership's business activities during 2021?".

I feel like "of course I did, I worked there full time".  I am not an "investor" so... is this as simple as it sounds and yes, I did "participate"?

It feels like a silly question yet I can't find an answer anywhere that says "answer yes if you are a full time employee of the LP".  That seems like a simple statement that could be in the help page or easy to find it I googled it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies