Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arbe
Level 1

desktop version for 2023 personal does not accept 2

I go to RETIREMENT PLANS AND SOCIAL SECURITY

I see only my wife's SSA amount.

I select UPDATE

it asks "Is [your wife's name] a US citizen ....?

"CONTINUE" just puts me back to the previous menu.

BTW I deplore the "cutsy" format.  Just give me a way to fill in the forms!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you are preparing a joint tax return, then every income entry screen will give you a place for EACH SPOUSE to enter income by name.   If you have already entered your own SSA1099 and you go to the entry screen to enter another SSA1099, it will ask you to enter it by name----choose the spot that has your spouse's name and enter her SSA1099.    Or---if you mean you have already entered your wife's SSA1099 and now you need to enter your own---same thing----but look for your own name and enter yours under your name.

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
arbe
Level 1

I did everything but turn my computer upside down, inside out, but Turbotax was adamant that the only screen for Social Security it would like was the one where my wife selects if she lived abroad.  Simple question, simple answer. But not for this. If there was some arcane way around the problem, I couldn't find it.  If there were a simple solution I couldn't find it. 

It's not as if I never used a computer program before in my life. I've moved through returns filed out by hand in the 1960's through some pretty sophisticated tax issues with may sources of information keyed into some tax program.  I made my living creating, designing computer systems and directed such work by others, but a solution to this did not jump up and wave at me.

I cut my losses, just started again, finally did get a return I could file. 

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

BTW TT also no longer provides for IRS form 8606, so one has to go to the IRS website.  Talk about clunky software.  Each field has to be keyed in, nothing is calculated for you (even though the form tells one what to do, where to get any input, and each calculation). Our taxpayer $ at work.

@arbe When you use this procedure in the desktop editions for entering an SSA-1099, do you not see the entry screen as shown in the screenshot?

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

SSA-1099 TTD.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies