turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.


My wife's family lives in Thailand. Can we claim  any dependents for paying for her niece's (3) to go to school and for providing 80% of her families support? Just wondering. 

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
2 Replies


Sorry, no.   You cannot claim dependents who do not have a Social Security number or an ITIN.


IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:



**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**


No.  Any family member can't be a dependent unless they live in your home more than half the year, or you pay more than half their total financial support.  Then, dependents must also be US citizens, green card holders, or residents of the US (live in the US at least 6 months) or be residents of Canada or Mexico.  And even then, there are no special tax deductions for paying for schooling.  




*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies