Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deceased Broker - 1099 Question

Hi Everyone - I'm trying to wrap up my fathers estate/business. My father was an insurance broker who had commissions paid to both his ssn# and ein#. He passed away in 2018 and still had some small insurance commission checks coming in (some over the course of a year probably would generate a 1099). We never formally notified the companies the checks came from, rather just stopped depositing and we believe they stopped sending them (we sold the house and did a forwarding address but who know if it got lost in translation). We're trying to wrap up everything with his estate/business this year and we're concerned that even though we haven't seen any checks or 1099s in about 2-3 years that a company/s could still issue a 1099. I've requested wage transcripts from the IRS but they will not send them since he was the only one on the business.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Deceased Broker - 1099 Question

I don't think there's anything to do.

If you do get another check (unlikely) ----

IRS Pub 559 --

"If the decedent accounted for income under the cash method, only those items actually or constructively received before death are included on the final return.

Income in Respect of a Decedent

All income the decedent would have received had death not occurred that was not properly includible on the final return, discussed earlier, is income in respect of a decedent.

How To Report

Income in respect of a decedent must be included in the income of one of the following.

• The decedent's estate, if the estate receives it.
  • The beneficiary, if the right to income is passed directly to the beneficiary and the beneficiary receives it.
  • Any person to whom the estate properly distributes the right to receive it."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies