Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Data import from a current version of Quicken consistently fails with the message "There seems to be some issue importing the Quicken data. ..."

Long-time TT & Qkn user, so am familiar with the import process. This is the only time in 20 some years I've seen it fail. I'm importing 2023 data for the purposes of tax planning as I've done in prior years as well. The message continues "...Instead try downloading the TXF file from Quicken & uploading to TurboTax."  Problem with that is that Quicken offers no selection ability; it will export ONLY last years data which is useless (without mucking around with my PC's clock). Why is there an error with routine imports and when will it be fixed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Data import from a current version of Quicken consistently fails with the message "There seems to be some issue importing the Quicken data. ..."

Better ask that over in the Quicken forum.

https://community.quicken.com/discussions

Why do you say that? What indication is there that this is a Quicken issue rather than a failure within TT?

You said Quicken will only export last years data.  I thought you want this years.  Maybe there's another way to export from Quicken.  

Not sure how to import Quicken into the Online version of TurboTax but here some info about exporting 2023 Tax reports and importing into TurboTax desktop version for now. At least you can get an idea how to export the .txf files/

(per from another post about the same subject) ( https://tinyurl.com/fvpk7mht )

I do not think you will be able to a direct import from Quicken into TurboTax (TT) right now.
You will be able to do so after the Jan 1, 2024 or sometime after that.
I think Quicken will need to update the program before you can import it into TT.

In the mean time for what data that is available right now in Quicken you can to do this.

Open Quicken - Go to Reports - go to Tax - First pick Capital gains - make sure the Date is for Current Year (2023) (Year to Date) - then Export - then pick Report to Tax Report File - Save it somewhere you know how to find it - Name it 2023 Cap Gains or something like that.

Next do the same for Tax Schedule - once again make sure it is for Current Year - then Export - then pick Report to Tax Report File - Save it somewhere you know how to find it - Name it 2023 Tax Schedule or something like that.

Remember the year is not over yet.

Double check the reports before you import them into TT.

Now you will be able to open TT and have it import those files.

TT will import one file at a time.

I think if you want to do it again later you will have to remove the imported files in TT and import from Quicken again. Otherwise it may double the figures in TT.

I hope this helps and I didn't miss a step.

I've had no problem importing data in prior years, but am starting before Thanksgiving this year. Perhaps the program is woefully incomplete at this moment.

The error message raised suggest no clear problem, and only one technique to get to an import, and if they are planning to fix the issue before 2024, then the work-around is useless as the work-around doesn't work for current year data. Support was equally useless on the matter.  All in all, very unsatisfactory.

You are correct that using REPORTS > TAX > CAPITAL GAINS or TAX SCHEDULE gets me to a report from which I can export selected data including capital gains for the current tax year into a TXF file. It remains to be seen if that process is smooth. I'm going to wait for another sale made today to post before trying it.

so yes,i've been able to make the 2 reports have YTD data and import into quicken.

But the question remains, why is the import not working directly from Turbotax.  It finds the Quicken data file, but gives a very rapid error message about "there seems to be some issue ..."

I'm having the same problem.  I used the Quicken import feature in the 2022 TT version to do 2022 end of year tax planning and it worked fine.

I'm running the latest version of Quicken Classic Premier for Windows.  I do not see TXF as an export format for Tax Schedule Reports.  The only options I have listed are Excel Workboot,  TXT file, and PDF.  Did you mistake the TXT option for TXF?

Under Reports> Tax> Tax Schedule

my icon next to the printer when hovering over it says Export Report Data to Different Formats.

one of those says Report to Tax Export File - so doesn't say TXF but that's what it is! (not obvious I agree)

@gsundel ,  Thanks.  I looked at that yesterday carefully and only had the 3 options I mentioned.  I looked again today and now "Report to tax export file" is listed as well.  The most likely explanation is that I somehow overlooked that one, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to count to 3 :-).  

peterkronenberg
Returning Member

I agree, I've never seen this problem before and have always imported before the end of the year.  Exporting from Quicken seems to work.  Don't do File-File Export.  Instead do Reports->Tax-Tax Schedule.  Then you an select the correct year and click on the Export icon in the upper right

Hard to tell at this point if it is a TurboTax problem or Quicken problem.  If it still exists after the new year, then it will definitely have to be escalated.

THANK YOU!!!!

I stumbled across your Reply when searching for a solution to this problem (encountered just today 1/1/24).

Your comments immediately solved the problem for me!

Thanks again!!!!

mjlap61tt
Returning Member

Does anyone have a solution to this issue yet? Or at least a timeline on when TurboTax willl fix this issue? Thier tech support is not helpful at all. It's a programming issue with TurboTax I'd imagaine. Please email me at [email address removed] if anyone has figured out a fix! I've been doing this import for 20+ years as well, and it's the 1st time I'm having problems with it. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies