Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crashing on import of 1099 docs

Hello,   For over a month now,  I've been working on a problem that I can not get around.  There is some new feature where I am supposed to sign in to my account before I can import a 1099 from my brokerage firm.  And on two different computers I get a pause when I click "sign in" and then it crashes and exits Turbotax.  I really need a fix for this quickly.  Anybody else have this issue?  I'm attaching a picture of the crash screen.  And by the way,  I've sent two of these to Turbotax with no answers....Turbotax crash.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you happen to have a password with special characters for your brokerage account, it may cause problems on your investment import. The workaround is to change your password on the account to something without special characters, complete the import, then change it back to your original password.

You may also opt to type in the information manually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I get the same error trying to import. Turbotax crashes as soon as I choose either the intuit login button or create an account button.

I was able to import by choosing file->import->from financial institution from the upper left corner of Turbotax.

It didn't ask me to log in to intuit.

Thanks.  This was helpful as it got me past the crash.  However I still could not log in without getting an Internal Server Error.  Now that error may be my financial institution.  Doesn't matter now because I decided to input everything manually, which in the end, I believe might be a better approach as I did have a couple sales that were not conventional and I'm not sure Turbotax would have gotten it right anyhow.  I will keep exploring it though.

HI Victoria,  This answer is not addressing the issue that I and one other that has replied am having.  We are not even getting to the Financial Institution log in.  Turbotax is crashing as soon as we try to log in to Intuit with our accounts.  This appears to be a new "feature" as I don't recall having to do that last years, and it's definitely flawed.  Another respondent suggested going to the File>Import>From financial institution option (good idea), and it got me around the Intuit login crash but now I'm getting an "Internal Server Error" when I try to log in to my Financial Institution.    As such, I've elected to just input all of my broker activity manually, which really defeats a lot of the value of Turbotax.  I hope this gets fixed for the next year.

Found both an inconsistency and a reproducible crash. Depending on how I reach the import search, I either don't get a result for "American Express" or TurboTax crashes and exits upon login attempt.

Search Topics > "Import" > import > Add Other Documents > Search for Your Financial Institution > "American Express"

Unexpected behavior: No results are returned 100% reproducible

File > Import > From Financial Institution > I'm looking for: "American Express"

American Express Bank, FSB is returned in the results

Unexpected behavior: TurboTax crashes and exits without warning or error message 100% reproducible

Applies to both cases

• Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.3
  • TurboTax Home & Business for Mac 2019 2019.r18.033
  • No special characters were used in my American Express password
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to customer support in the link below if you are still experiencing issues.

Contact Support

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JeanB206

Turbotax is crashing with their login step and so not letting us get to the actual financial institution login.  I am consistently experiencing the same issue.  My 1099s are complicated so sucks to be me right now using this software instead of an accountant - thank goodness the deadline was extended.  This nonsense feature to "login" to intuit account is a deal-breaker.  The learn more link does not even make a weak case for why this intrusion that is effectively bricking my ability to file taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies