honeyxxbunny

CPA prepared taxes, mom as babysitter

This is the first time I payed my mom to babysit my daughter. I want to claim the child tax credit, so I went to a CPA, he prepared our taxes. He prepared it without my mom's SSN, and without claiming the child tax credit because it would "open a can of worms". I picked my prepared tax form from him, I didnt pay and I didnt sign anything for him to file on my behalf. Meanwhile, I prepared my taxes through turbotax, turns out I get a bigger federal refund and I dont have to pay state taxes if I claim my mom as a caregiver. Can I legally "ditch" the CPA, and not have him file my taxes? (CPA is a $210 fee vs turbotax $80)

Bsch4477

CPA prepared taxes, mom as babysitter

I would think that you would have to pay for his time in preparing your return even if he did not file it for you.   See below for the issues associated with grandma as a baby sitter and you claiming the credit. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/child-care-expense-question-we-p...