Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

CPA prepared taxes, mom as babysitter

This is the first time I payed my mom to babysit my daughter. I want to claim the child tax credit, so I went to a CPA, he prepared our taxes. He prepared it without my mom's SSN, and without claiming the child tax credit because it would "open a can of worms". I picked my prepared tax form from him, I didnt pay and I didnt sign anything for him to file on my behalf. Meanwhile, I prepared my taxes through turbotax, turns out I get a bigger federal refund and I dont have to pay state taxes if I claim my mom as a caregiver. Can I legally "ditch" the CPA, and not have him file my taxes? (CPA is a $210 fee vs turbotax $80)

1 Reply
Level 15

CPA prepared taxes, mom as babysitter

I would think that you would have to pay for his time in preparing your return even if he did not file it for you.   See below for the issues associated with grandma as a baby sitter and you claiming the credit.



message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies