Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skitchrat

Covid-19 Confusion

This may not be something someone can't answer, but I'm in a difficult situation and couldn't think of anywhere else to ask. So, I filed my 2019 taxes and got my refund, but when I filed, I filed that I could be claimed as a dependent (because we weren't too sure) but my parents have not filed for 2019 and didn't claim me in 2018. So in comes the difficult situation I've been going back and forth with. Will I get my Covid-19 Stimulus or not? I've tried looking everywhere and haven't found anything. If someone out there has an answer or has something to put my mind at ease, please feel free to respond.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Covid-19 Confusion

If you qualify and can be claimed as a dependent (even if your parents did not actually claim you), in your program, you must make the selection "someone can or will claim them" under My Info.  This means that you don't qualify for a stimulus payment--YET. 

If you do not qualify as a dependent in the year 2020, you will get the stimulus after filing your taxes next year, 2021.

@Skitchrat

[Edited 4/5/2020 | 4:15 PM ]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Skitchrat

Covid-19 Confusion

See, but that's the thing. I don't know if I can be claimed because I don't know what the requirements are for being claimed. When I filed I said "Someone can/will claim me" because we don't know at all what qualifies. So I'm still a bit confused.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Covid-19 Confusion

The information in the link below provides IRS rules for whether or not someone may be claimed as a dependent. 

Rules for Claiming a Dependent 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies