Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Costco Turbo Tax link disabled after 1 year. How can you work on your back taxes?

Hi there, 

Way behind on my taxes and I need to complete 2020 due to a demand letter from Oregon.  I dont owe anything and have paid more than enough but I bought this from costco online, downloaded it but the laptop crapped out. Need to download again but the link is broken.  Costco chat help was next to worthless with the representative telling me to buy a new one and after some time back and forth told me to pound sand and left the chat.   How do folks do this without CD's??  Can the entire program be saved to a back up thumb drive somehow?   I have the KEY to the program and my purchase info.  

Thank you to anyone who can lead me to an answer here.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Costco Turbo Tax link disabled after 1 year. How can you work on your back taxes?

See if this will work : 

To fix this error please follow the instructions below:

Step 1: Please go to www.turbotax.com 

Step 2: Then click on the Do It Yourself Tab on the top menu bar

(The menu bar is located beside intuit TurboTax logo)

Step 3: Select Doing your taxes with a CD download

Step 4: Then click the Access My Downloads link (the link sits above the question...

Which TurboTax CD/Download product is right for you?)

Step 5: After clicking Access My downloads - Log into your account or create a new account. 

Step 6: click downloads

Step 7: Look for the link ENTER YOUR LICENSE CODE HERE in the paragraph below. 

Step 8: Type your license code on the next screen. do not copy and paste the license code here. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The original installation file can be saved to any type of removable device, such as a USB drive.  But if you do not have the installation file then there is nothing you can do except to pay for a new download.

To complete and file a 2020 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2020 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2020 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.

The IRS can reach back 10 yrs, I dont think costco or TT are doing us any favors by letting us opt for an electronic download and having a KEY and then not be able to get at it later when you need it.   Its not hard to just ask for the KEY to be able to download it, they know that folks are going to need this later.    Luckily I found a finished PDF and will print it out and save it.

Im just suprised that if I have a KEY then why cant I just use that to go to the TT website and download a copy of a paid for 2020 program??  Not happy at all. 

See if this will work : 

Step 4: Then click the Access My Downloads link (the link sits above the question...

Step 5: After clicking Access My downloads - Log into your account or create a new account. 

Step 8: Type your license code on the next screen. do not copy and paste the license code here. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@skycamper wrote:

Im just suprised that if I have a KEY then why cant I just use that to go to the TT website and download a copy of a paid for 2020 program??

Your gripe is with Costco, not with TurboTax.

If you order a pair of Nike sneakers from a shoe store, and the shoe store doesn't deliver them, you can't go to Nike and expect them to send you the sneakers, even if you have a receipt showing that you paid for them. Why do you expect TurboTax to replace a product that you bought from somewhere else?

If the shoe store does deliver the Nike sneakers, and you lose them, you don't expect Nike to replace them. You got the download, but you didn't store it securely, so you lost it.

Your personally responsible take on this is a good one and I would normally agree but not this time.   

Thank you I will try this, and if it doesn’t work I might give them a call.  I can’t expect much since it’s been a long time but it’s worth a try. I’ll let you know if this works.  Thanks for being a part of the solution!  

When I enter my key using this technique I get the message...

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

Other years are in my downloads but not 2022.  Any thoughts?  I bought it at Costco and have the original email from Costco with the download link and key. The download link doesn't work which sent me down this path. FWIW I only installed it on 1 desktop but want it on my laptop for upcoming travel.

See if this will work : 

I get the same message for the software link that I received from Costco that it is used by another account. Did anyone have success with this?

Yes do what others suggested and download the install files from your desktop onto a usb drive and then open the install program on the laptop. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies