Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

nan18

Correct way of reporting 1042s form (federal tax withheld: income code 16) on Turbotax?

Hello!

The above explanation for reporting 1042S helped me quite a bit. 

I am a resident alien for tax purposes resided in WV throughout the year. I have a W2 from my previous employer in WV. Along with that by my current employer (in MD), I was given a 1042S. Using the above trick I added the 1042S and the tax withheld info. There is no mention of state tax withholdings on the 1042S. What do I do in this case?

Also, can I e-file my tax return? I remember I filed taxes as a non resident alien by mailing the forms. I have already attached my 1042S in the other forms on turbo tax. Also, my tax info page shows me as a "resident" will this affect my tax return with the 1042S form?

Thanks!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Correct way of reporting 1042s form (federal tax withheld: income code 16) on Turbotax?

To clarify, is your 1042S issued by an American Employer who has already issued a W2 with the same withholding amount and income reported? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not the person who posted the question, but I have received 1042-s along with W2 and I have income code as 06. Do I still need to add it to other reportable income or should I report this in 1099-DIV? Also, can I efile this (without 1042-s) or should I mail my returns? I am a resident for tax purposes.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No you should report this if you have an amount listed in Box 2 of the 1042-S form. Here is how to file and you should be able to efile once finished. 

1. Open your return in TurboTax 
  2. Click on Wages & Income 
  3. Scroll down to All Income 
  4. Scroll down to Less Common Income 
  5. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C 
  6. Click start 
  7. Scroll down to Other reportable income 
  8. Answer yes 
  9. Enter description and amount 

To report the US tax paid (if you paid tax):

1. With your return open
  2. Click on Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid\
  4. Click on Other Income Taxes
  5. Scroll down Other Income Taxes paid in 2021
  6. Click on Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099

@saulgoodman

Yes, I have an amount of $348 in box 2 and $104 in boxes 7a and 10. So I am assuming federal tax has already been withheld for the income and I'll report it as below. The two questions I have are:

1. Why can't I report this as I usually report dividends in a 1099-DIV form (since the income code in 1042-S is 06)?
  2. Can I eFile using TurboTax with the caveat being that I can't attach my 1042-S along with my return?
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You may enter this as dividend income or the way I suggested above. Enter $348 as an ordinary dividend in Box 1A and the income withheld in box 4 in the 1099-DIV entry.

Either way, you will be able to efile. You won't need to send in the 1042-S but keep with your return if the IRS contacts you later.

@saulgoodman

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies