Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

Trash

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

@GabiU 

In case  you think I'm bluffing:

https://ibb.co/MVdsNjV

Fix it ASAP.

Everyone is aware of that. You are missing the issue. The issue is that TURBOTAX ADVERTISES COMPATIBILITY WITH COINBASE AND INDICATES NO EXTRA FEES. IT IS BILLED THE SAME AS HOW IT WORKS WITH TD AMERITRADE. We don't want to pay 59 dollars to ANOTHER THIRD PARTY and give them access to OUR INFORMATION. Does that make any sense to you?

jhaskumar
Returning Member

Folks

Is this issue fixed yet 

Tax filing nearing to end date

I tried all option, Turbo is not accepting the csv which i downloaded from Coinbase pro 

i also tried importing the Coinbase csv to Cointracker but no luck, there also i see the parser  issue

Please help   

Melkizadek
Returning Member

How and where am I able to import a CSV once I have it formatted properly?

@Irene2805 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Help with getting your CSV from Coinbase has been provided by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LindseyLO 

In case  you think I'm bluffing:

https://ibb.co/MVdsNjV

Fix it ASAP.

NashayLO,

The link to TurboTax Inuit help recommends the use of CoinTracker. Their service asks me 199$.

For something I have as PDF and CSV from Coinbase, but Turbo does not have a way to read.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you only have a few trades you can post them manually.                                                              

Income & Expenses

1. Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  2. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
  3. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
  4. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.
  5. Answer the questions about your sales. Choose to Enter sales one by one when asked.
  6. On the Now, we'll enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, enter your info.

However, if there are more than a few you can quickly enter this manually also. 

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category.

There are seven possible "Box" designations that indicate the holding period (Long/Short Term) and the reporting status.  These are the only ones you have to summarize. If you want to manually enter your 1099-B as the summaries.

1. Tell us about your 1099-B sales for this  account
  2. Answer the questions
  3. Since you have more than a few  sales, we recommend entering sales section totals
  4. Continue
  5. Before entering sales section totals, take a moment to find them on your 1099-B
  6. Continue
  7. Now, we'll enter one sales section total on your  1099-B
  8. Use the drop down menu to select the correct designation.

Code A. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS.

Code B. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS.  

Box C. Report on a Part I with box C checked all short-term transactions for which you can't check box A or B because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement). 

Code D. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS.

Code E. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS.  

Box F.  Report on a Part II with box F checked all long-term transactions for which you can't check box D or E because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code X. Use this code to report a transaction if you cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown.

1. Open or continue your return (if it's not already open) and search inside TurboTax for the phrase stock sales.
  1. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes to both Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments? and Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  3. If you land on Here are all your 1099-B sales, select Add sales from a different brokerage. Then answer Yes to Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  4. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it in myself.
  5. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  6. On the following screen (Tell us about...), answer the questions until you reach the next screen. Select the second option, Let's enter a summary instead, and select Continue.
  7. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.
  1. When you are done, you'll eventually come to the Here's a summary of your broker sales screen where you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

You will have to mail a copy of your 1099-B to the IRS.  TurboTax will produce a Form 8453. You print the Form 8453 and attach the brokerage statement(s) to it. 

@evmalia

I mean yeah, props for actually posting a unique answer... but the automation of the entire process is still missing. A few trades, even 10 would be annoying to put it in when I should be able to post the hundreds I do have and that were advertised to be accepted.

I'm having this issue too, I signed up for cointracker but the CSV file is not recognised when trying to upload to TurboTax. Very annoying, what should we do??

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Some were able to get a CSV file imported into TurboTax by doing the following:  Select BitTaxer and deleted all columns from the CSV file except for the 5 listed below.   Delete the Service Name column.  That worked, but not until the column labels matched the following:

1. Purchase Date
2. Date Sold
3. Proceeds
4. Cost Basis
5. Currency Name

All transactions imported and were able to check off the ones that are not taxable (such as your rewards) so as to not include them on my tax return.    

Agreed! So frustrating!

Nick_Shl
Returning Member

Found this on Reddit:

I solved this issue. Here's an example of the final formatted CSV. Make sure it does not have control+M characters at the end of each row using vi or some other text editor that shows those.

Currency Name,Purchase Date,Cost Basis,Date sold,Proceeds

BTC,9/20/19,104.76,7/27/20,97.28

XLM,3/12/20,1000,4/28/20,1414.87

I used Excel functions to take the Coinbase transaction history CSV and convert it into this format. This is what I did.

NOTE: This ASSUMES your CSV is alternating exactly 1 Buy / 1 Sell on each row. If you bought multiple times and then sold, double check your doc and manually fix it in those instances. Also, you'll have to exclude any rows (obviously) for sells that took place in the wrong tax year.

1. Remove the BS lines (leave the txn header row for now)

2. Paste these headers into cols L - P: Currency Name,Purchase Date,Cost Basis,Date sold,Proceeds

3. Starting on the first Sell txn (should be row 3), set the following excel functions as values further off to the right in the CSV file.

4. Set value of L3 to: =IF(B3="Sell",C3,"")

5. Set value of M3 to: =DATEVALUE(LEFT(IF(B3="Sell",A2,""),10))

6. Set value of N3 to: =IF(B3="Sell",G2,"")

7. Set value of O3 to: =DATEVALUE(LEFT(IF(B3="Sell",A3,""),10))

8. Set value of P3 to: =IF(B3="Sell",G3,"")

9. Drag down the formulas through your sheet

10. Highlight the date columns and format->cells and choose the date format that is mm/dd/yy

11. Copy and paste these values to a new sheet (paste values only)

12. Sort the doc, ascending, by Purchase Date, expand selection.

13. Delete the blank rows.

14. Save the doc using Save As and select Windows Comma Separated (this one surprisingly gave me no weird control+M characters and no trailing commas when I look at it using vi or other text editor)

MrsP2

someone recommended that you have to upload the capital gain csv file, it has all of the proper headers

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies