Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Co-op capital contributions

I started a co-op this year. How are my capital contributions taxed? Is it based on the cumulative amount I have contributed or the ending balance in my account? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenL4
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, EmConger,

I am assuming you are talking about a co-op apartment you live in.  Your capital contributions are not currently taxed at a federal level, rather they become part of the tax basis of your home and are part of calculating any gain or loss on the sale of your home (see this IRS publication "cooperative apartments" for more detail).  Tax basis in a home, including shares in a co-op apartment, is the purchase price plus the cost of capital improvements. In a co-op, the starting point for an apartment’s basis is the amount paid for the shares in the  corporation. 

However, shareholders who use their apartments in a trade or business or to generate income, if the co-ops corporate documents permit such use, may also be entitled to depreciation and other deductions. Also, normal deductions such as your portion of property taxes and mortgage interest are available to you as with any other homeowner.

Hope this helps!

*Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Best,

Karen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Sorry that I wasn't clear before. I'm talking about a different kind of co-op. It's childcare and co-working combined. I'm a co-owner making capital contributions. 

Will I be taxed on total contributions for the year or only the remaining balance in my capital account. How does the price of membership impact this? Thanks! 

KarenL4
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, EmConger,

Thank you for that additional information.  It sounds like this may be a complex area of tax law that could require a tax professional to review both the entity type and the Co-op agreement. I suggest you consider engaging a local tax professional or considering TurboTax Full Service for either personal or business taxes as the facts require). Here are some links that may assist you further:

Hope this helps!

*Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Best,

Karen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies