Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Claiming dependants

What ia the best way to fill out the w4 regarding dependants when due to divorce i dont claim any dependants every other year.

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Claiming dependants

Hi Birdonaline,  I'm not sure from your questions if you do or do not claim your dependents every other year.  If you do claim dependents every other year, you will want to submit a Form W-4 each year, as the year you will be reporting the dependents on your tax return, you will include the number of dependents on your Form W-4.  For the years you do not have dependents you will not include them on your Form W-4, and your withholdings should be higher.


Here is a W-4 Calculator to take you step-by-step through the worksheet,


Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  You should see a difference in your paychecks federal tax withheld when the dependents are reported on your Form W-4 compared to when they are not reported on your Form W-4.


I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings