2016nohelp

Claiming a dependent

My son is 21 years old and a full time student in an out of state college (he doesn't live at home).  He is dependent on my spouse and I for college tuition, apartment rent and food.  He has had part-time jobs and earned $5,600 for the year.  Why can't I claim him as a dependent?

KrisD

Claiming a dependent

Are you filing jointly with your spouse?

If you are filing a Married Filing Jointly return, make sure you are not marking that the student is not living with you in the TurboTax program. If the student is not living at home because he is in school, and he intends to return home after school has finished, you are allowed, and you need, to report that he lives at home so that you can claim him as your dependent.

Please review the information through the link below.

CLICK HERE for TurboTax help on Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return

KrisD

Claiming a dependent