Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gg64

Claiming a dependent

If I chose that I can be claimed but will not be claimed does that mean my parent can no longer claim me? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Claiming a dependent

No.  Your return wont affect their return.  And it would be the other way around.  IF THEY CAN CLAIM YOU, you have to check you CAN be claimed.  Why aren’t they claiming you?

Here are the rules for claiming a dependent.  Do you qualify as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

IRS Pub 901 Tax rules for Dependents

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p929.pdf

Gg64

Claiming a dependent

I am helping my parent with their tax return but I finished mine months ago. I want them to claim me I was just worried that because I put that they are not claiming me, that they would no longer be able to. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Claiming a dependent

No, your parents can still claim you as a dependent. Saying that you will not be claimed only affects whether you can get an education credit on your own tax return. It doesn't affect your parents' tax return.

Claiming a dependent

Thats ok.  You will have to amend your return.  But they will have to mail their return since your ssn was already used on your return.  They don’t have to wait for your amended return to process.  Once a ssn has been filed as primary you can’t efile it.  

How to Amend your return 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Claiming a dependent

You do not have to amend your return. VolvoGirl misread your original question. As long as you said that you CAN be claimed as a dependent, everything is fine. Your parents can claim you, and they can e-file.

Claiming a dependent

Yes sorry.  I got confused.  I thought your second post said you did claim yourself.  

Gg64

Claiming a dependent

And it doesn’t matter if I did claim an education credit?

Claiming a dependent

Well, it does. If your parents claim you only they can claim the education credit. You would have to amend your return to clear that up. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Claiming a dependent

While technically there is a provision that allows a student-dependent to claim a federal tuition credit, from a practical matter it seldom works out.  A student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit (AOTC) if he/she supports himself by working. She cannot be supporting herself on student loans & grants and 529 plans and parental support.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit.  

If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. But then the parent must forgo claiming the student as a dependent, and the $500 other dependent credit.  The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. This is worth up to $2500 (AOTC shifts to all non refundable).

You say you did claim an education credit.  If you claimed the non refundable credit (you had a tax liability), you'll need to decide which way the family comes out better before deciding whether to amend.  Usually the parents come out better. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies