Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mojomomma03
Returning Member

Claimed daughter/she cannot file now

I claimed my 18 year old daughter who graduated high school in 2021 and is going to college.  She has a steady job and went to file her taxes but IRS denied stating "the IRS already has an accepted return on file for you for this filing season"  She put that she was claimed by someone else on the form, so what is that problem?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

there is a possibility someone else filed before her using her SSN.  this is a fatal error. she can no longer e-file. she has to mail in her return following Turbotax filing instructions.   she should watch out for the possibility of identity theft. 

Mojomomma03
Returning Member

So she has to file paper taxes? She has checked her credit and nothing showed up to indicate identity theft.  

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It is not an issue of identity theft - you stated that you claimed her on your return already.  I'm sure our Champ @Mike9241 just misread your original posting when answering.

To answer your question, yes, she will need to paper file her return.  You should also note the requirements for a dependent to have to file a return at Do I need to file my own taxes if I'm a dependent? and whether or not you could truly claim her as a dependent at Who can I claim as my dependent?

@Mojomomma03

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies