Solved: Claimed 0 on my 2016 return, owed money? Should I claim 1 on this years to avoid owing money next year?

calikaedo

Claimed 0 on my 2016 return, owed money? Should I claim 1 on this years to avoid owing money next year?

KrisD

If you mean exemptions on your W-4, that would have the opposite effect.

Claiming 0 is as low as you can go.

If you claim 0 exceptions on your w4 and you still owe tax, you can have an additional amount withheld, or make "Estimated Tax Payments": quarterly.

If you mean claiming your exception on your tax return, claiming 1 exemption (your own) instead of 0 would normally result in a lower tax liability, but it all depends on whether you are a dependent to someone else or not.

KrisD

Claiming 0 is as low as you can go.