thegoldfly

child tax credit for 17 year old

One of our daughters turned 17 in Dec. 2019.  TurboTax wants to give us the child tax credit which was rejected when I went to file (turbo tax said we qualified).  I was just going to delete her under our family section under dependents but I believe we can get a smaller credit for other dependents?  But I can't figure out how to do it? Turbo Tax just keeps saying we qualify for the child tax credit

child tax credit for 17 year old

If you entered the correct date of birth for the child, they are not eligible for the Child Tax Credit in 2019 since they are age 17.  The child is eligible for the Other Dependent Tax Credit of $500.  The credit is automatic when the child is entered as your dependent.

Go back to My Info or Personal Info for the TurboTax edition you are using and verify that the DOB is accurate for the child.  Mus be in the format MM/DD/YYYY, for example 12/31/2002

thegoldfly

child tax credit for 17 year old

But turbo tax wont do it cause it keeps giving me the child tax credit?  Even though they sent me the email telling me it was rejected.  I double checked the birthdate.

thegoldfly

child tax credit for 17 year old

OMG you are right.  I had the birth year wrong even though I kept looking at it.  When you 2002 a lightbulb went off.  I was using my other daughters birth year.  ugh thank you!!!