Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

child tax credit for 17 year old

One of our daughters turned 17 in Dec. 2019.  TurboTax wants to give us the child tax credit which was rejected when I went to file (turbo tax said we qualified).  I was just going to delete her under our family section under dependents but I believe we can get a smaller credit for other dependents?  But I can't figure out how to do it? Turbo Tax just keeps saying we qualify for the child tax credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you entered the correct date of birth for the child, they are not eligible for the Child Tax Credit in 2019 since they are age 17.  The child is eligible for the Other Dependent Tax Credit of $500.  The credit is automatic when the child is entered as your dependent.

Go back to My Info or Personal Info for the TurboTax edition you are using and verify that the DOB is accurate for the child.  Mus be in the format MM/DD/YYYY, for example 12/31/2002

But turbo tax wont do it cause it keeps giving me the child tax credit?  Even though they sent me the email telling me it was rejected.  I double checked the birthdate.

OMG you are right.  I had the birth year wrong even though I kept looking at it.  When you 2002 a lightbulb went off.  I was using my other daughters birth year.  ugh thank you!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies