taxquestion10

child first year filing

Hi, I filed my family's 2019 Return through Turbo Tax already. My child (under 3yrs old) had unearned income $1,100+ and a pop up screen suggested I file his return separately.  I started filing my child's individual return through the Free Turbo Tax online. It asks if this is the first time my child is filing? Is the answer: Yes, because it's his first time filing for himself or because I claimed him last year as my dependent on my 2018 taxes: No, he is considered filing before?  Also, when Turbo Tax asks for his 2018 AGI, is the answer zero since he didn't have an income or unearned income in 2018?

Thanks

macuser_22

child first year filing

Yes, the answer is zero.

Be aware that if your dependent is under 16 years old and this is their first time filing a tax return, they cannot e-file their return. It can only be printed and mailed.

macuser_22

child first year filing

Yes, the answer is zero.

yesenia3

child first year filing

0 is not the answer!! I've tried it twice and it hasn't worked. If it's worked for someone I'd like to know how you did it! Mailing them is the only answer.

Cynthiad66

child first year filing

Yes.  The only option is to prepare using free software, prini and mail.

There should be an option to say he did not file last year.  He did not file just by being a dependent on your return.  If he received a 1099 or some other document in his name with his social security number.  If this is the first time that you have prepared a tax return for him using his social security number then it is the first time.

Be aware that if your dependent is under 16 years old and this is their first time filing a tax return, they cannot efile their return. They can still prepare their return on eFile.com, print it, and mail it to the IRS to file it. They will be able to efile their tax return the following year.