Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Charles Schwab tax forms not importing in TurboTax

Have the same problem,

The Schwab problem is still continuing.

COuser
Returning Member

Anyone or TT or Schwab has a solution for this problem yet?

My problem is a blank "bank login" which I couldn't type in User ID/PW after Intuit login. 

deduction08
Returning Member

Turbo Tax finally fixed the import problem! I opened TT today got a requirement for install updates.  And the import worked! Beware if you manually entered 1099s the import will not overwrite them. In the 1099s Turbotax is now asking for a value in the State Distribution box. This seems strange considering Turbotax is importing directly from Schwab.         More sloppy work from Intuit. Not sure about  blank login.

10:00AM on 3/12.  Still not working for me after update. Asking for me to log into Intuit and then crashes.

I gave up . Quite disappointed with TT. But just more of the usual confusion and foul ups everywhere these days.

HOWEVER , I did find a semi work around that may be helpful to some.

TT allows you this year to group all your sales types( categories) with just one total number. I assume this is blessed by the IRS ( so go figure ). I enter one number for all my short term sales and one for all my long term sales.  That is it . No lengthy entering of every sale - just the totals If you have your Schwab statements they have those numbers available. It may not cover all the complex scenarios but it simplified the issue for me .

BTW this was using just the cheapo Basic edition of TT.

After downloading the latest update yesterday, I was still not able to connect with Schwab (and, yes, I tried changing passwords but that also did not load).

I got the forms as a PDF file from Schwab and entered them only to have an unhappy surprise.   I entered my short term gains/losses with no problem.  Then I tried entering my long-term gains/losses.  As my long-term losses were more than the gains, this should have lowered my tax liability.  It did not.  Instead, TT considered my losses to be gains and increased what I would have to pay.  At that point, I just raised my hands in surrender, put the long-term and short-term numbers together and entered them all as short-term.  That finally gave me the right total.  I don't know if what I did was strictly legal but as it did not have me paying less tax than I would if everything was done properly, I am not guilty of tax evasion and not concerned by what the IRS will say about this work-around.

One thing I know for certain -- I will not be using TT in the future.

consultjrc1
Returning Member

didn't work for me

I have resorted to entering my Schwab 1099's by hand. I bought TurboTax mostly to allow me to prepare

my taxes without the risk of making mistakes when entering by hand. I will not use it again as I am 85 years

old and cannot trust my skills of entering data!

I did all the potential solutions that are mentioned here and none of them worked for me. I have used TurboTax

for the previous two years with not problems downloading Schwab 1099's. My Computer system is not changed

from the last two years. I am at a loss!

I am somewhat younger and still want the features for which I paid.  I spent another 40 minutes on the phone with them yesterday yielding no progress.  I'm unlikely to purchase again and will leave an honest, negative review at every opportunity.

consultjrc1
Returning Member

I have experienced extreme frustration with TT and the inability to download Schwab data. Spoke with Claude Sunday and, after viewing my screen, said he was escalating it and that it would be fixed. Tried to call now [phone number removed]) and use the case number but the robot said I couldn't speak to a person because I didn't have an account. Could be the last year I use TT.

Anyone have any new info? 

BTW, I have desktop/CD deluxe version.

I had same bad experience trying to import 1099 data using TT Deluxe Windows 10 on desktop. I just gave up trying to import and entered summary data from 1099 Consolidated Summary. Hope they get this resolved before next years return.

While I was attempting to import from Schwab, Turbotax locked up and I had to close Schwab's website and Turbotax.  When I attempted to reopen Turbotax, it would not open.  It gives the message of, "Standby while we make sure everything is up to date", and then that disappears and nothing else happens with Turbotax.  I spoke to a Turbotax rep for over an hour.  She could not resolve the problem and gave me a new subscription to download Turbotax from, after removing the previous application from my computer.  The end result of the new subscription is exactly the same as my first.  I've removed and reinstalled Turbotax more than a dozen times with the same results.  Turbotax's fix is to do my taxes on their website and they gave me a code to pay for doing it that way.  I am not comfortable doing it that way.  I have also been to the Apple store and they attempted everything they knew of with no positive result.  The computer is completely up to date with no problems.  I would not recommend that anyone attempt to import from Schwab using Turbotax.  I'm out of ideas.

I tried again to import the 1099 forms from Schwab. The problem is still not fixed, I still get the same error, and can not log in. It does not help to say the work around is to enter the data manually,  with this answer Intuit is saying the workaround is not to buy TT. 

How many messages will it take to get an answer? Could Schwab or Intuit TT make a statement and explain the problem? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies