Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Change of State Residency

My daughter moved to Florida July 1st 2017 for school. She is 23 and not claimed as my dependent for 2017. She works as a teacher's aid for the school and they had her address as her "old" Pennsylvania address and withdrew PA tax. The address has since been corrected but 2017 W2 shows Pennsylvania address. Can she get a PA state tax refund for job in Florida if she changed residency but W2 does not show that?

1 Reply
New Member

Change of State Residency

Did she earn money in Pennsylvania from January to June while she was living there?  She should have filed  a non-resident or part year resident tax return for Pennsylvania since she lived there for part of the year.  She should have paid state tax to Florida for July through December.  If she filed 2017 taxes already she would need to file amended returns.  Not sure if it would be better for her financially to get a refund from Pennsylvania and pay Florida state tax or not as I don't know those states' tax laws.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings