Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Carryover Worksheet Automatic Entry

TT put an automatic entry in the General Business Credit (line 18 of the Carryover Worksheet).  When I run the smart check, it says no carryover info was entered, so I should either delete the carryover because I carried it back to 2019, or enter detailed carryover amount in the general business section.

What???
(I filed a carryback - and never rec'd anything neither as a denial or payment - but the amounts don't match.)

I have no idea what this is or what to do about it.  I started my taxes a month ago, so - no - I'm not leaving this until the last minute. They are just so darn hard!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Does your Carryover Worksheet, Line 18, have an amount in the '2021' column?

If not (or $0) you have no Carryover amount to enter (or $0). 

If so, you can enter the Carryover amount in the interview for General Business Credit.

Type 'Form 3800' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to Form 3800' to get to this section, where you can enter both Carry Back and Carry Forward info.

Here's more info on General Business Carryovers. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply.  The number in question is actually in the 2020 column.

Yet, TT is telling me to enter manually in form 3800, but... why?  And where on 3800?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

It's easier to enter 3800 info in the interview.  In TurboTax Desktop, Form 3800, Part II, Line 34 shows carryovers.  

Use the 'Form 3800' in Search, and 'Jump to form 3800' to get there.  You will be asked for details on the specific credit the carryover applies to. 

TurboTax asks you to enter the carryover because in some cases, the carryover amount is adjusted (it asks about that too). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Understood. I did my entire return via interview, which is why I don't understand why it's asking me to do this manually at the "Smart Check."
But I gave up. Done and submitted "to the best of my ability."  Have spent 3 full weekends on my taxes. That is enough!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies